Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Promise I will not spread rumors that Professor Snape sings I'm Too Sexy for my Robes...

Friday my friend posted “Hogwarts Rule Number 362: I promise I will not spread rumors that Professor Snape sings I’m too sexy for my robes in the shower” the image of Alan Rickman dancing in his robes and singing in his monotone off beat way has stuck with me ever since. Making me randomly giggle and sing “I’m too sexy for my robes” to myself.

As many of you know I had my meeting with the Daughters of the American Revolution to start my application process. Their membership is no joke. I have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that not only am I who I say I am but I have to prove my lineage too. They are currently asking for copies of my birth certificate, my husband’s birth certificate, our marriage license, my mother’s birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate, my grandmothers death certificate, my great grandparents obituaries, my left arm and my first born son while they’re at it. Part of the reason why I have to go to such great lengths to prove everything is because someone somewhere along the line applied for membership under a similar lineage. The application never went through (for reasons unknown) but I have to prove that I am right and they are wrong. Since I have a massive ego and I pride myself on my excellent research capabilities I am going to treat this like I would a legal case; which is similar to one of my dogs and their bones. Though, as a side note, I am in love with the Huntington Beach Central Library. That facility is fantastic! A snack bar, gift shop, a salt water aquarium and an amazing selection of books should the Zombie apocalypse occur I think I may take shelter there. Though, we’d need to bring a decent amount of alcohol with us…

Last night was our first book club meeting of the new year. The book that we were supposed to read was “A Post Birthday world.” I say supposed to because no one actually read it all the way through. Jess read the most 152 pages. I got to 53. Staci and Michele didn’t even read it. The premise is intriguing. A woman has a choice place before her and it’s about what would happen based on her two choices. The problem is that not only did I hate the writer’s style, it was very choppy. I also just wanted to hit the girl. Her long term boyfriend goes out of town and she spends her time putting everything on hold and only doing the things that he wouldn’t like. Having been through multiple deployments I find her actions incredibly frustrating. When Ryan deployed I held close to the mantra “The sun rises every morning and therefore so do I.” I also took the opportunity to do everything that I had always wanted to do but never really found the time. I taught myself how to knit, I took yoga I became a vegetarian. I didn’t just sit on my ass and do self defeating actions. Also, the writer had a thing against feminists. Like to the point where in her biography at the back of the book she says that she was insulted once for being called a feminist. The main character that she created was always saying things like “I’m sure feminists wouldn’t like that I did…” I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a feminist and there is nothing wrong with not being a feminist but seriously how many women go through their daily lives thinking “I am going to do (fill in the blank here) for my husband/boyfriend even though I know feminists wouldn’t like” I know I don’t call up my token feminist friend (you know who you are hun) and say “Ok I plan on doing x,y,z. Do you as a feminist approve?” Most women really don’t care. We just do what makes us or our partner happy because that’s what you do in relationships.

A similar premise to this book is a movie called “Sliding Doors.” I highly recommend it. It’s done much better than this book was. Michele, Jessica and I had a much better time eating cupcakes and watching that movie. Our next book is “Marriage and Zombies” Can’t wait to read that book, romance in a post apocalyptic world, what more could a girl want? I have to finish reading “The Other Queen” I am almost there and am so tempted to pick up “Fire Study” the next book in a series that my friends and I like. Michele just let me borrow the book tonight and I couldn’t resist picking it up and reading it a little. Total mistake. Now I want to really read it but I have to spend most of my day tomorrow studying, researching and finishing the other queen. Too many books, too little time…but then again there was a great Twilight Zone that covered just that scenario.

1 comment:

MJ said...

I *told* you that book was amazing. As soon as I started reading it, I couldn't put it down at all. I can't wait for you to finish it and finish Fire Study so I can discuss it with you!!! :)

Oh and I totally want to check out the HB library now...