Thursday, February 10, 2011

In Which I Blinked My Eyes and Realized it was Thursday

It really doesn’t seem that long ago that I was enjoying “il dolce far niente” and then I blinked and it was Thursday. So what have I been doing to make myself feel like the time traveling Dr. Who you might ask? Well besides working, which by the way, it’s officially been a month and I love it. Bad days and all.

I started off my week at my CLA class. I have been studying so hard that I have had dreams about estate planning, I have yet to decide if that is a good or a bad thing. This past Monday was the communications section. I found it to be a little frustrating because it wasn’t as clear and as structured as I would have liked. It’s one of the reasons why I decided to read “Eats, Shoots and Leaves” to supplement my studying. I swear that after May, I am going to take a break from studying (famous last words, I know). I’ll always be learning and taking continuing education to keep up with my certification but I think that’s going to be it for the time being.

Tuesday was our annual herpetology association meeting. I have to say that I am very happy to find such a great group of people. I am excited about the work in the community. May 1st, we are bringing out all the critters for the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation. It looks like it’s going to be a fun event and putting a smile on sick children’s faces is rewarding, for some it may be one of the last laughs they have. While we’ll be hanging out in the festival area there will be a bike tour and a 5K marathon. So I recommend for you bikers and runners out there should check it out. Well, even more exciting was that we added a new family member. She is a sweet little Corn Snake that we named Pumpkin. It was truly love at first sight. We never imagined ourselves as snake owners between their food choice and general bad reputation. We always thought of ourselves as preferring herbivores. Pumpkin has certainly changed that. She’s has got such a sweet disposition and the cutest little face. I’m going through withdraws of not being able to hold her because she just ate on Wednesday. She already has me already wrapped around her tail. Pumpkin is adjusting to her new home, she not quite sure how to take them. They on the other hand are extremely curious about this new little creature that is taking attention away from them.

Wednesday was the first General meeting of the year for OCPA. Throughout my paralegal training my professors only talked about it generally there were never thorough lessons on it. Last night Judge Thrasher really gave an interesting lecture on the specifics of ADR. One great story was that in a slip and fall case, the defense wanted to settle for $275,000. The plaintiff wouldn’t take anything less than $300,000. They were at such a stale mate that they ended up going to court. The Plaintiffs lost and got nothing. If they had settled they not only would have gotten the money but would have saved their client from a long drawn out court battle. Also, let us not forget that this was most likely a contingency case for the plaintiff so when their client lost, they didn’t get any money for the man power that they spent.

This weekend isn’t going to slow up either between teaching my friend to cook trout, helping my friends move and cooking up a storm with my sister. In between all of that I will studying and doing some research for my next examiner article.

No comments: