Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ceviche, Sushi and Other Good Things

For a person who loves cooking and experimenting with food as much as I do, having a fisherman for a husband is a really good thing. There has been many a time when he has come home with a random fish and ask me to come up with a recipe for it.

As the old adage goes “you should always try something once” I inevitably put it to the test a few months back when Ryan came home from a weekend fishing trip with close to 30lbs of fish requesting I make ceviche with it. I decided to go for it and I love it. I’m absolutely fascinated by how the acid cooks the fish. Gotta love Chemistry!

I suppose the same could be said for my sushi. One night Ryan and I had the brilliant idea to substitute trout for salmon. The fish are so similar that we thought it’d work well. So A few weeks later we invited my friend Jess and her husband over to try it. Jess later confessed to me that she was hesitant about the trout sushi but after trying it she really liked it. As I said, you have to always try something at least once….even if it is trout sushi.

Several months back some friends and I started a book club. We always talked about the books that we read and shared them. So a book club was the next logical step. Our last book was “To Kill a Mockingbird” We’d all read it in highschool and enjoyed it but reading it again was a whole new experience. This time around, I really found the court case to be what struck me the most. The fact that Atticus used the just system to protect the freedom of one man against all odds, I felt the children’s admiration. Our next book is “The Post Birthday World.” Exploring the what if’s one woman’s life. I’ll have a review of that once we’ve read it.

Keep an eye out for my new column coming soon on Examiner.com. I’ll be the Huntington Beach Reptile Examiner. I am happily creating my list of topics to cover and means that I will just have to attend the Reptile Super Show this weekend at the Fairplex in Pomona. I’ve always wanted to go to one of these and now I finally have a reason to HAVE to go. If you’re into reptiles I recommend checking it out, there are going to be a lot of venders and reptiles. It's sure to be a great time.

This weekend is going to be a stark contrast to last weekend. Besides attending the reptile expo I’ll be meeting my best friend, Amanda, at her mother’s house to stuff wedding invitations. The wedding is coming up in March so now all the fun planning stuff begins and as matron of honor I’ll be in the thick of it. Hopefully this will keep me distracted from thinking about the good news that I am waiting to hear.


No comments: