Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Rain Saturday! No Rain Saturday!

My current mantra is “No Rain Saturday, No Rain Saturday” Really it would be nice if we had a pretty day for Amanda’s Bridal shower. Well I suppose it’s better for Mother Nature to get it all out o her system now than to have a down poor on the wedding day (every bride’s worse nightmare). I am at least ahead of the game. All of the favors are put together (And are adorable if I do say so myself) and then tomorrow or Thursday I have to buy the cupcake mix and the ceviche ingredients. Friday night I am going to be a cupcake baking, ceviche mixing machine.

Sunday my sister and I made a fantastic three course meal. First course was marinated artichoke hearts, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and fried zucchini. Second course was a roasted leg of lamb with rosemary, tomatoes, onions and potatoes, which was very good but could have stayed in the oven just a little bit longer. Finally, the third course was a chocolate lava cake with whip cream and drizzled caramel. Last night, as part of our Valentine’s Day tradition, I made seafood alfredo. Alfredo Sauce can be pretty tricky. Your technique has to be perfect with just the right mix of parmesan cheese, heavy cream along with attention to stirring and heat. Mine, was fantastic.Tonight though, it was Ryan's turn to cook. So we went out to eat at a nice Mexican Restaurant.

The big dilemma facing Ryan and I at the moment is moving. Our apartment complex wants to raise our rent to a grand total of $1700 a month. That’s going to rough to swing if we stay here. As with many in the current economy, we’re afraid our credit score is going to keep us from being able to get something else. We love living in Huntington Beach. It’s the perfect mix of So Cal Beach and Urban life. Plus there is no way in hell I want to give up my 10 minute commute. I don’t even have to get on the freeway! It makes my 12 to 15 hr days when I have other daily commitments seem much easier because I can go home for a little bit after work. We have found an apartment that looks like it is going to be a good fit. It’s within a mile of the beach, 2 bedrooms, washer and drier in the unit, about the same distance to my office as our current office and is going to be $400 cheaper than what our current apartment wants. The only down side is that there is no patio which means that the hockey gear and no free reign for the pups. However, we are a few blocks from an off leash dog park. If we get the place we will be able to throw an awesome 4th of July party.

On the writing front, I got this great idea to write an advice article on keeping outdoor reptiles safe from predators such as coyotes, hawks, raccoons and cats. My only problem is finding reliable sources. At least my work in OCPA is going much smoother and in my next post I should be able to post some cool things going on.

Pumpkin is adjusting well. We discovered her two favorite things are hoodie pockets and her hiding rock. She’s getting used to the dogs being around but doesn’t really care for them. Bella is getting over her curiosity about her. Bocce on the other hand is annoyingly jealous and throws a fit whenever either of us is giving pumpkin any amount of attention.

CLA vocabulary word of the day: Amicus Curiae (friend of the court: as an amicus curiae brief filed with an appellate court)

No comments: